In 2017, the New York Times featured the article “Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program,” which initiated a system reset for public perception of the UFO phenomenon. However, UFOs weren’t always considered among the ranks of “all the news that’s fit to print” as far as topics covered by “The Gray Lady,” which has remained for decades an American “newspaper of record.” What has caused the shifting attitudes toward UFOs over the years, and what role has the New York Times played in influencing that?
This week on The Micah Hanks Program, we lead off in celebration of May the 4th, a favorite of Star Wars fans everywhere, before turning our attention to space news. Micah also recaps his recent appearance on Coast to Coast AM with researcher John Greenwald of The Black Vault to discuss the DoD’s recent “official” release of UFO videos, before turning our attention to the history of media coverage of this subject, and the role newspapers like The New York Times have played in steering public perception of the UFO phenomenon.
Coronavirus Charities: If you are able, please consider supporting the following charities that are offering relief for those affected by the coronavirus pandemic:
- CDC Foundation Coronavirus Relief
- No Kid Hungry Responds to Coronavirus
- Direct Relief: Coronavirus Pandemic
- American Red Cross: Give Blood
- Feeding America
- Meals on Wheels
- Homeless Shelter Directory
Enjoy The Micah Hanks Program? Check out Micah’s other podcasts here.
Below are links to stories and other content featured in this episode:
- May the Fourth be With You… Always
- NASA Translated a Hubble Photo Into Music, And It’s Absolutely Chilling
- How Halley’s Comet will spark Monday night’s meteor shower
- Building blocks of life found in famous Mars meteorite
- “Murder hornets” have now entered the U.S. and they could decimate the honeybee population
- ‘Terrifying’ plague doctor: U.K. police search for person in full 17th century outfit stalking suburb
- Having Intense, Vivid Dreams During The Pandemic? Here’s The Science
- The Condon UFO Report (Presented by the NCAS)
- “Flying Saucer Fiasco”, by John G. Fuller, Look Magazine, 1968
Like us on Facebook
Follow @MicahHanks on Twitter
Follow Micah on Instagram
Music featured on The Micah Hanks Program includes songs composed by Caleb Hanks (The Clerk Chronicles), Decepticons (Dreamland, Start the Machine) and Micah Hanks. All songs are either in the public domain, Royalty Free, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, or are used with permission of the creators. Please note that some links to books and other items on this page may feature Amazon Associate links.