In 1958, a series of large, human-like footprints were discovered by employees at a California logging site. A casting of one of the prints was made by the man who discovered them, Jerry Crew, who took his unusual find to a local newspaper… and an American legend was born.
However, decades later it was revealed that one of the men overseeing the logging operation, Ray Wallace, had been involved in a hoax using large wooden carvings to create the huge footprints. Many skeptics argue, on account of this, that the origins of what came to be known as “Bigfoot” can be traced back to the 1950s, but is this entirely true?
This week we look at the history behind the famous Ray Wallace Bigfoot hoax of 1958, and the earlier American origins of the Sasquatch.
Chapters in This Episode
- Intro 0:00
- News 5:52
- Rocket Man 23:51
- I. Why Do People Believe in Bigfoot? 36:07
- Interlude 47:39
- II. The Case for Relict Hominoids 48:55
- III. Bigfoot Beginnings: 1958 53:39
- IV. The Hoax Unravels 1:05:25
- V. Misunderstanding Sasquatch 1:20:37
- Conclusion 1:40:05
Coronavirus Charities: If you are able, please consider supporting the following charities that are offering relief for those affected by the coronavirus pandemic:
- CDC Foundation Coronavirus Relief
- No Kid Hungry Responds to Coronavirus
- Direct Relief: Coronavirus Pandemic
- American Red Cross: Give Blood
- Doctors Without Borders: COVID 19
- Feeding America
- Meals on Wheels
- Homeless Shelter Directory
Enjoy The Micah Hanks Program? Check out Micah’s other podcasts here.
Below are links to stories and other content featured in this episode:
- NEWS: CBS will celebrate ‘Star Trek’ Day 2020 with an epic Trek panel marathon
- Russia declassifies footage of ‘Tsar Bomba’ — the most powerful nuclear bomb in history
- Massive mystery holes appear in Siberian tundra and could be linked to climate change
- Mystery as “huge bang” shakes homes in Egham and Staines
- Elon Musk warns that there’s a good chance the first settlers will die on Mars
- UFO Spotting Has Replaced Bird Watching as Pandemic Obsession
- ROCKET MAN: FBI investigating pilot report of ‘guy in jetpack’ flying 3,000 feet in air near LAX
- Jet-pack flight a mystery, as usual suspects deny culpability
- A jetpack at LAX? Maybe. Jetpacks are very real
- UPDATE: Mystery jetpack man at LAX may have been manikin on a drone
- San Antonio residents spot mysterious ‘floating man’ they believe was using a jet pack
- BIGFOOT: If Bigfoot Were Real
- Who Believes in Bigfoot?
Like us on Facebook
Follow @MicahHanks on Twitter
Follow Micah on Instagram
Music featured on The Micah Hanks Program includes songs composed by Caleb Hanks (The Clerk Chronicles), Decepticons (Dreamland, Start the Machine) and Micah Hanks. All songs are either in the public domain, Royalty Free, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, or are used with permission of the creators. Please note that some links to books and other items on this page may feature Amazon Associate links.