Recently, astronomers have begun to notice something odd about a long-standing space mystery: the curious fast radio bursts (or FRBs) that were first discovered back in 2007. In recent weeks, the FRBs appear to be firing off light pulses on a schedule… but what could that mean?
This week, after news and the long-awaited announcement about an all-new supplemental podcast we have just launched, we turn our attention to what scientists have to say about the enduring mystery of fast radio bursts, and why some of them pulse strange signals on a clockwork-like schedule. Joining us to discuss this is science writer Becky Ferreira, a contributor to VICE/Motherboard, Wired, Popular Science, New Scientist, Bike Radar, and Sparknotes, among other publications. She gives us the latest on the FRB mystery, what their strange pulsations might mean, and a range of other questions this week on The Micah Hanks Program.
Coronavirus Charities: If you are able, please consider supporting the following charities that are offering relief for those affected by the coronavirus pandemic:
- CDC Foundation Coronavirus Relief
- No Kid Hungry Responds to Coronavirus
- Direct Relief: Coronavirus Pandemic
- American Red Cross: Give Blood
- Feeding America
- Meals on Wheels
- Homeless Shelter Directory
Enjoy The Micah Hanks Program? Check out Micah’s other podcasts here.
Below are links to stories and other content featured in this episode:
- NEWS: Quantum ‘fifth state of matter’ observed in space for first time
- Giant Crocodile Ancestor Walked Around on 2 Legs, Ancient Footprints Suggest
- Secret “Baby Dragons” Finally Go On Display In Slovenian Cave
- Newton’s Recipe Toad Vomit For Plague Cure Now Up for Auction Starting at $65,000
- SPACE: Pandemic shuts Earth’s eyes on the skies
- Powerful X-ray flare detected from the protostar HOPS 383
- The Official Website of Becky Ferreira
- Scientists Uncovered a Hidden Pattern in a Mysterious Signal from Space
- Something in Deep Space Is Sending Signals to Earth in Steady 16-Day Cycles
- Scientists Have Discovered Vast Unidentified Structures Deep Inside the Earth
- ALIENS? 36 alien civilisations could be communicating in our galaxy, new research claims
Like us on Facebook
Follow @MicahHanks on Twitter
Follow Micah on Instagram
Music featured on The Micah Hanks Program includes songs composed by Caleb Hanks (The Clerk Chronicles), Decepticons (Dreamland, Start the Machine) and Micah Hanks. All songs are either in the public domain, Royalty Free, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, or are used with permission of the creators. Please note that some links to books and other items on this page may feature Amazon Associate links.