By the early years of the new millennium, experts were already sounding alarms about the potential threat that machine intelligence might eventually pose to humanity. As of 2023, following the arrival of AI tools like OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Bard—enhanced performance chatbots that many view as little more than party tricks—the race to create genuinely intelligent machines seems to be fully underway… but where will it go from here, and what are the dangers that could result from the creation of a genuine machine superintelligence?
This week on The Micah Hanks Program, we look at several potential future scenarios involving the creation of an A.I. superintelligence, how machines could one day rise against humanity, and what that could mean for humankind in the decades ahead. Will A.I. become our saviors, or our overlords?
The story doesn’t end here… become an X Subscriber and get access to even more weekly content and monthly specials.
Want to advertise/sponsor The Micah Hanks Program?
We have partnered with the fine folks at Gumball to handle our advertising/sponsorship requests. If you would like to advertise with The Micah Hanks Program, all you have to do is click the link below to get started:
Below are links to stories and other content featured in this episode:
- NEWS: Sandstorms on an Alien World Revealed in Data Collected by the James Webb Space Telescope
- Tasmanian Tiger ‘Probably’ Survived to 1980s or Even Later, Study Claims
- In fight over key surveillance law, officials look to sway congressional skeptics
- OpenAI connects ChatGPT to the internet
- RISE OF THE MACHINES: Google AI updates: Bard and new AI features in Search
- ChatGPT: Does This Clever Chatbot Mark the Dawn of a New Era in AI? – The Debrief
- Is This the Start of an AI Takeover? – The Atlantic
- Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humans | Pew Research Center
- The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence Forecasting, Prevention, and Mitigation
- The Doomsday Invention
- Future Progress in Artificial Intelligence: A Survey of Expert Opinion
- AI Will Change War: Institute for National Strategic Studies
- AI & Global Governance: Robots Will Not Only Wage Future Wars but also Future Peace
- We’re told to fear robots. But why do we think they’ll turn on us?
Like us on Facebook
Follow @MicahHanks on Twitter
Keep up with Micah and his work at micahhanks.com.